Swim and Dive sends five to state

The team anticipates success at state with a brand new coach and a newfound energy
Kensie Speed
Senior Calista Skog takes a breath during the 100-yard butterfly event against Lake Washington High School. She finished in first place with a time of 1:00:06, helping secure the team’s narrow victory.

Girls’ swim and dive heads to the tail end of the post-season with high hopes ahead and notable accomplishments behind. The girls finished the regular season with a record of 3-4, matching last year’s performance.

Fueled by hard work and dedication, the team not only performed well but also has found a renewed sense of vitality this year.

“Our energy is fantastic,” senior captain Emily Chapple said. “Everyone that’s here wants to be here. We do a really good job of being a solid team and supporting each other the best we can.”

The team spirit has been fostered by coach Kate Haase, who is new to the team this year. Team members say Haase is a dramatic change from their previous coaches, in part because she swam on a high school team just a few years ago.

“The new coach this year is really young and energetic and dynamic,” senior Molly Lie said. “I think that’s brought new energy to our swim team—everyone seems more energetic in general.”

The team has been able to focus its enthusiasm into hard work and determination. Practices usually see about 90 percent attendance, despite starting at 5:15 a.m. each morning.

“We have a lot of girls that are really committed to this team,” Chapple said. “There’ve been girls with injuries that swim because they don’t want to let the team down.”

The girls’ dedication not only stayed with them into the post-season but increased as they transitioned to a different team dynamic.

Junior captain Liza Panova said the post-season atmosphere is much more individualistic and serious because the meets become more competitive and most of the team doesn’t make the qualifying times.

The girls are poised to translate their focus into success at the State competition on Nov. 13 and 14 at the King County Aquatics Center.

Senior Calista Skog qualified in the 100 fly and 50 freestyle; junior captain Danielle Donnebrink qualified in the 100 free, 100 back and 50 free; and sophomore Katie Kirk qualified in the 500 free. Skog, Donnebrink and Panova qualified in the 400 free relay with Kirk, and the three qualified in the 200 medley relay with sophomore Ally Macdonald.

The whole team looks for success at state and a strong end to their season.