Coach Greg Lowell inducted into WIBCA Hall of Fame

For the last three decades, head coach Greg Lowell’s work has not only stimulated competitive growth on the boys basketball team but, according to his players, has also provided an environment that continually fosters the development of aspiring athletes. 
Ella Barnard
Coach Greg Lowell observes varsity players during game against Bothell on Friday, Jan. 31. Sitting behind him on the left is coach Mitchell Blackburn and on the right is coach Collin Portugal. Photo by Ella Barnard

Senior and co-captain Peter Hansen said their competitive successes and individual growth is a result of Lowell’s well-rounded coaching style. During his career as an Inglemoor head coach—with an overall record of 395-341—he has coached the Vikings to five 4A state tournaments.

His dedication to coaching will be awarded this year by the Washington Interscholastic Basketball Coaches Association (WIBCA), an organization that aims to recognize dedicated coaches who have initiated and evolved the careers of local athletes. Lowell will be inducted into the WIBCA Hall of Fame at their 45th annual banquet on July 23.

“It’s super cool to see Coach Lowell get recognized with this award,” Hansen said. “It’s nice to see a man, who’s been putting in the hours for 35 years, get the recognition and respect that he deserves.”

The team members said their competitive successes and individual growth is because of Lowell’s focus on the relationship-building aspect of the sport, encouraging his athletes to grow as a unit.

“Lowell’s coaching style provides a necessary foundation that helps us play better. He has a team-based philosophy that prioritizes teamwork over individuals,” junior Aidan Bennett said. “It shows in our playing, but it’s also gotten me a lot closer to the guys on the team. It’s more like a brotherhood.”

According to Bennett, Lowell’s coaching has not only strengthened the team’s bond, but it has also motivated the team to continuously improve their work ethic and skills. Despite the competitive nature of varsity athletics, the team’s collaborative and encouraging environment lessens the pressures of playing. 

“Lowell’s coaching style is built off of fundamentals and repetition. He’s huge on effort and being the hardest working team—which is where we succeed,” Hansen said. “He preaches working hard in practice everyday and having the games be the easy part. We all buy into what he says, so when it comes to game-time, we know exactly what to do to go out and win.”

Lowell said he hopes to instill a well-rounded skill set in his players, valuing adaptability over specialization. Each year, Lowell makes considerable strides toward improving the quality and effectiveness of the team’s practices. 

“There are a few important things to keep in mind on the court: teamwork, playing hard and playing defense. A lot of guys just like to score the ball, but we have to play all ends of the floor,” Lowell said. “There’s a philosophy and culture of teamwork among the players, and it’s important for them to grasp all aspects of the game.”

Lowell’s ability to teach and inspire is not only reflected in his coaching ability but also in his classroom as a math teacher.

“He’s really good at making sure people understand what is going on in the class and on the court. He has an ability to break down and explain situations, which benefits his students and players,” Bennett said. “He appears reserved and quieter in the classroom, but I will say that when it comes to basketball, he’s super loud and dominant.”

Lowell said the success of the team is a result of the supportive environment.

“We have great administrative and parental support over the years—supportive assistant coaches as well,” Lowell said, “I’ve had a lot of great players play here—kids that basketball is important to. Overall, I’ve been really lucky. It’s especially humbling to have such a passionate support system.”

Even after achieving a substantial career record—including several district and state tournament championship games—Lowell continues to inspire growth in his athletes. 

“Lowell deserves this award not only for the successes he’s had on the court but also for his ability to have a positive impact on kids’ lives and teach them how to be men,” Hansen said. “He loves to joke around with us and be a funny guy, but at the end of the day, what he does for each and everyone one of us goes way above basketball.”