14 activities to cure boredom

It’s been over seven weeks since school abruptly closed and quarantine so rudely began. Since then, we’ve all spent a little too much time either on our phones or rewatching our favorite shows. Days are starting to blur and weeks are becoming redundant. If you are yearning for some different and more interesting things to do, here are 14 ways to fill your quarantined days! 
Sonya Sheptunov

1. Prepare some delicious eats

Sonya Sheptunov

Cooking and baking are both satisfactory solutions when it comes to keeping yourself busy. They are entertaining to do and even more delicious to enjoy afterward. They are a perfect activity to complete alone or with some of your favorite family members and the possibilities are endless! Turn up the tunes, preheat the oven and get to it. For some good ideas on what to whip up, check out some of our favorite “Easy eats for the stir crazy vegan”. 

2. Clean your room

You know it needs to get done. Instead of hitting “Next Episode,” I challenge you to roll out of bed and get to work. Change the sheets and tidy up the clutter. Organize the drawers and clean the closet. Add some decorations and light a candle. Cleaning your room and organizing now means that you don’t have to worry about it when time is not so readily available. 

Sonya Sheptunov

3. Spend some time outside

There have been too many sunny days to remain inside wasting away. Go get some fresh air and take some time to truly enjoy your surroundings. Armed with personal protective equipment (check out “Masks made easy”), enjoy a quick walk by yourself or encourage the whole family to spend lunch outside with each other. Some vitamin D always goes a long way when it comes to boosting spirits. If a walk or picnic doesn’t appeal to you, grab a blanket and your favorite book or listen to a podcast while you savor your surroundings. Enjoy the sun warming your head and the breeze cooling your face. It is the ideal change of scenery away from your bedroom on a nice summery day. 

4. Bond with your siblings

You know, those annoying people you’ve been forced to share a house with your entire life? With quarantine keeping everyone home, there is ample opportunity to spend some quality time with your siblings. You could play a game or watch a movie together— use these days to get to know them better. 

5. Pamper yourself

Sonya Sheptunov

Take that self-care day that you never had time for before quarantine. Enjoy a bath spiced with essential oils, fragrances or a bath bomb. Let yourself sleep in, stretch your body, drink lots of water, wash your face and do whatever else you desire. You deserve a day to reset. 

6. Do your homework

Online school means waning productivity and more time for procrastination. However, setting aside some time each day to do schoolwork is far less tedious than cramming it all into one late night. By getting ahead on your assignments, you can have free time that is truly free, without the added pressure of tasks left undone.

Sonya Sheptunov

7. Talk to your friends

Be social from a distance! Call your friends and check in with them. Schedule a virtual movie night with each other. Make sure that people know you still care for them and that you can’t wait to hang out with them when quarantine is over. 

8. Write a letter to your grandparents

Nothing would make grandparents happier than a letter from their grandchild. Stuck inside, writing a letter would give you something to do and would make your grandparents’ day—or any relative, for that matter. Check out Pinterest or YouTube for aesthetically pleasing letter writing tutorials. If you don’t feel like writing, a simple call to check in would be just as thoughtful. 

Sonya Sheptunov

9. Go for a drive

For underclassmen, quarantine is a prime chance to work on driving skills. The roads are close to empty, thereby allowing the driver to get comfortable with the rules of the road and feel of a car. Upperclassmen can also take advantage of these quarantined days by going for a drive to enjoy some personal time, take in the scenery and make sure their cars don’t just sit idle. Make sure to stay in the car and avoid contact if you can. 

10. Stimulate your mind 

There are a myriad of free apps and online courses that can help you learn the language of your choice (including coding languages)! Download one today and begin. If Spanish class is enough language learning for you, check out YouTube to learn to do something you’ve always wanted. For some additional resources, check out the Nordic News article “Learning platforms respond to COVID-19 with free resources.” 

Sonya Sheptunov

11. Exercise

It’s important to stay active, especially since many students lost their sports seasons. Exercise keeps the mind active and serves as a break from school and other activities. You can do as much or as little exercise as you would like; just make sure you do something to keep moving every day. 

12. Do some college preparation 

Thinking about life after high school can be daunting. Use this extra time to ease the process. Join a virtual college tour or try to make a list of schools that fit you best. Think about what you want to write about in your essay. Start to ponder what major speaks to your interests. Use this time also to get ahead of the curve on SAT or ACT prep so that the test becomes less intimidating. 

Sonya Sheptunov

13. Write in a journal

Someday, the COVID-19 pandemic will be history. Starting a journal will allow you to capture the thoughts and feelings occupying your head at this time. Or, if writing doesn’t speak to you, keeping a vlog or a recording of daily thoughts will suffice. This kind of documentation will keep memories preserved and could be significant later in life. 

14. Declutter

Clean, clean, clean! Declutter your space and mind. Go through the photos on your phone and delete unneeded ones. Organize the junk drawer. Weed the garden. Meditate for 10 minutes a day. All of these activities will hopefully help you feel more focused and less suffocated by life in quarantine.