Major developments in presidential race

The+2020+presidential+election+has+heated+up+in+recent+days+with++Nov.+3+quickly+approaching.+Art+by+Mia+Tavares+
Mia Tavares
The 2020 presidential election has heated up in recent days with Nov. 3 quickly approaching. Art by Mia Tavares

Since the first presidential debate on Sep. 29, the presidential election has had several major developments. In the early hours of Oct. 3, President Donald Trump announced that he and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19, the deadly disease that has killed more than 220,000 Americans and infected more than 8 million others, according to Johns Hopkins University. At least 35 additional White House staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 since the president’s initial diagnosis. The next day, Trump was flown to nearby Walter Reed Medical Center to be treated, where he was given several treatments, including the antiviral drug Remsdesivir to treat his COVID-19 symptoms. He was released from the hospital on Oct. 5, and returned to the West Wing of the White House on Oct. 7. Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis raised concerns about his recent public appearances, including the Sep. 29 debate with Democratic  party presidential nominee Joe Biden. 

There was a second all-virtual presidential debate scheduled for Oct. 15, but that debate was canceled after Trump refused to participate. A third presidential debate is scheduled for Oct. 22, and the first and only vice presidential debate was held on Oct 7. Trump’s COVID diagnosis has not changed his poll numbers much, as 77% percent of people polled say that his diagnosis does not change their opinion on wearing a mask, and only 21% said they would be more likely to maintain at least a six foot difference; according to an Axios-Ipsos poll. 

The latest election poll numbers show Biden as having a slight lead over Trump in several crucial swing states including Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania, with polling percentages of 47%, 49% and 51% respectively, according to FiveThirtyEight. In the same states, Trump is polling 47%, 45% and 44%. Undecided or independent voters are averaging around 5 to 6% in each of the three swing states. 

In the state of Washington’s most recent poll, Biden holds a very strong lead with 58% of polled voters compared to Trump’s 36% and undecided/independent voters at 6%, according to FiveThirtyEight. Both Trump and Biden have aggressively campaigned in the swing states in preparation for the election on Nov. 3.

The deadline to register to vote online in Washington state is October 26.

Resources for voting: 

Register to Vote in Washington state:

https://www.eac.gov/voters/register-and-vote-in-your-state

Where to Vote in Washington state:

https://voter.votewa.gov/WhereToVote.aspx

Voting by Mail in Washington state:

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/faq_vote_by_mail.aspx