Easy eats for the stir crazy vegan

During these unprecedented times, people in quarantine have taken to the internet to find fun and creative recipes to spice up their quarantine. With easy-to-find items and creative spins on the internet’s favorite foods, here are some of Nordic’s top quarantine recipes.

For a vitamin-infused breakfast to break you out of an early morning funk, try making your own vegan smoothie bowl!

Ingredients you will need:

• Frozen strawberries

• Frozen blueberries
  • Bananas
  • Shredded coconut (optional)
  • Chia seeds (optional)

Steps:

1. Add 1 cup frozen strawberries, ½ cup frozen blueberries, and 1 large banana to a blender. 
  2. Blend on low until you get finely chopped pieces. 
  3. Then slowly blend your favorite non-dairy milk substitute (coconut milk tastes best) until you get the desired smoothie consistency. 
  4. Finally, pour into a bowl and top with shredded coconut, chia seeds and sliced bananas. 

Mia Tavares

Savory fried tofu: a quick and easy lunch go-to to add a little bit of variety to your day to day. 

Ingredients you will need: 

• Firm tofu
  • Vegetable oil
  • Cilantro
  • Soy sauce
  • Balsamic vinegar

Steps:

1. First, you will need one package of firm tofu. 
  2. Slice tofu into 1-inch to 1 ½-inch slices. 
  3. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a pan on medium heat. 
  4. Place tofu slices in the pan and pour 2 ½ tablespoons and equal parts soy sauce over slices evenly. 
  5. Let it cook for a couple of minutes then add a touch of cilantro, then let simmer and flip the pieces of tofu. 
  6. Once the first side is starting to brown, continue to sauté, shaking the pan as the liquids soak into the tofu. 
  7. Flip a couple more times to brown each side. 

Pair with some rice or just as is, for the perfect five-minute meal. 

Tik Tok super mom and actress, Tabitha Brown, has taken the internet by storm with her easy, vegan-friendly meals. Another simple lunch option perfect for quarantine is her famous, “TTLA sandwich.”

Ingredients you will need: 

• Baby romaine
  • Avocado
  • Dill pickles (optional)
  • Bread
  • Garlic aioli

Steps:

1. Slice the avocado, tomato and dill pickles. 
  2. Toast the bread. 
  3. Spread the aioli over the pieces of bread, then add the tempeh, half the baby romaine, half of the avocado, tomato and dill pickles to one half of the sandwich 
  4. Then top off with the other piece of bread. 
Mia Tavares

In what seems to be a never-ending quarantine, snacking is an absolute necessity. A basic bruschetta is a classic snack, perfect for in-between online classes. 

Ingredients you will need: 

• 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 8 Roma tomatoes
  • Italian bread
  • ⅓ cup of basil
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Steps:

1. Start by slicing the bread and placing it on a baking sheet and broil until golden brown 
  2. Once golden, flip. 
  3. Then, dice the tomatoes, chop the garlic and slice the basil into ribbons. 
  4. As the bread is toasting, shred some parmesan.
  5. Add the diced tomatoes, sliced basil, and parmesan into a bowl with salt and pepper (to taste) and mix.
  6. Once the bread is toasted, apply a generous layer of the tomato concoction to bread and drizzle oil and balsamic vinegar over top. 
Mia Tavares

If you try any of these recipes, send your creations to @ihsnordicnews on Instagram to be featured on our Instagram story. Bon Appetit!

View Comments (2)