New year welcomes new assistant principals

Assistant+principals+Joe+Mismas+and+Erica+Hill+greet+students+with+a+smile+outside+the+front+doors.+Both+Mismas+and+Hill+say+they+have+a+passion+for+helping+students+succeed.+
Joanna Wyler
Assistant principals Joe Mismas and Erica Hill greet students with a smile outside the front doors. Both Mismas and Hill say they have a passion for helping students succeed.

With the additions of 35 new staff members and the freshmen class, over half of the school body is new this year. Playing a vital role in making these transitions smoother for everyone, new assistant principals Erica Hill and Joe Mismas said they have joined the administrative team with much enthusiasm and fresh ideas.

“This is going to be a year of transition,” Hill said. “We are all here to support each other.”

One change is the addition of a new roll: dean of students. This position is held by Shawn Rainwater, who also teaches science part-time.

This alters the distribution of administration activities. Rainwater’s responsibilities include overseeing all seniors and emergency preparedness.

Hill oversees non-seniors with last names A-L, leads orientations and serves as school liaison to the district Equity and Diversity Committee. Mismas oversees non-seniors with last names L-Z and coordinates open houses, LINK crew and field trips. Hill and Mismas co-lead the Restorative Justice program and the Positive Behavior Support plan.

Hill started her career in teacher. She spent 20 years as an English teacher and track coach at Mercer Island High School. With all her experience in the classroom, Hill said she has become a real believer in student growth.

“All students can achieve at a high level,” Hill said. “School should truly be a place that everyone feels welcome, where everyone feels like they have a voice.”

Hill said she is very thankful for the people who made her move to Northshore School District easier.

“From everyone I have met at the district office to everyone I have met here at Inglemoor High School, they have been so welcoming with open arms,” Hill said.

Like Hill, Mismas said he appreciates the spirit of the Northshore School District, having worked as an administrator in the district for 15 years. In 2013 he even held hes same position as assistant principal at Inglemoor.

For the last four years, Mismas served as the principal of Timbercrest Junior High. However, he said he is excited to come back to high school and help with the grade configuration.

“I describe it as my voyage. I took my Viking ship and left for four years. I explored and I helped my other staff and kids, and then returned,” Mismas said. “Once a Viking, always a Viking.”

Mismas said he hopes to build relationships with and support all staff and students.

“Another goal is having an inclusive community,” Mismas said. “We talk about equity and equal access and recognizing that our weaknesses are also our strengths as a community.”

Both Mismas and Hill said they were extremely impressed with the Inglemoor community when they began working with faculty over the past few weeks in preparation for school to start.

“There is an amazing staff here and an amazing student population here,” Mismas said. “I say that so genuinely.”