• February 5Purchase IHS Improv tickets! Second performance is Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Little Theatre!
  • February 5Congratulations Nathan Choy and Franklyn Xue for qualifying for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination!
  • November 16Congratulations to “Murder on the Nile” for ranking first place in every category in the Seattle Repertory Theatre’s adjudication program!
  • November 16Congratulations to all our National Merit semi-finalists!

Boys tennis reigns against Bothell with a 7-0 victory

Caption for photo: Third singles player and freshman Charles Wait serves the ball. Wait went on to win his match 6-0, 6-0. Photo Courtesy of Jim Orr.

Inglemoor boys tennis swept the Bothell courts for a 7-0 win on March 23, marking their first completely undefeated match of their thus far undefeated season. Despite facing tough opponents, each player’s mental strength and offensive play ultimately propelled them to victory, leaving the Bothell team with only a narrow 8-7 win in the first exhibition (fourth doubles) court. 

First singles player and senior Adam Walter faced a difficult opponent in Bothell’s Amil George, whose aggressiveness and speed made him a formidable force to contend with. However, Walter’s powerful serve and consistent baseline shots kept George on the defensive throughout the match, allowing Walter to take advantage at the net, and ultimately, secure the win at 6-3, 6-3. 

Second singles player and junior Alan Babadzhanov also performed strongly in this match, attacking each ball. Strong serves and consistent aggression allowed Babadzhanov to easily dominate his opponent, winning 6-1, 6-0. 

Third singles player and freshman Charles Wait ended with one of the best performances of this season. Wait exploited short and deep balls alike, showcasing his powerful line drives with every opportunity. Opponent Colby Weller never had the chance to secure an edge and Wait captured a 6-0, 6-0 win. 

Lastly, fourth singles player and senior Daniel Orr initially struggled with opponent Henry Cumbaugh’s offensive netplay, but his speed and strategy once again proved effective in numerous service line and baseline rallies, allowing Orr to take the win at 6-2, 6-1. 

First doubles duo and juniors Roman Mar and Andras Marto clutched a close win against Bothell, winning 6-3, 4-6,11-9 in a tense third set tiebreak. Mar’s serve, which he had struggled with earlier in the season, was particularly strong this match, and Marto’s height made him a threat at the net.

Second doubles players and seniors Nathan Guest and Anand Ochiryam struggled initially with controlling their aggressiveness but came back and won the first set from a deficit after finding their rhythm. Guest’s strong line drives and volleys made him a daunting opponent for Bothell, allowing the lefty pair to score a 6-4, 6-2 win. 

Finally, third doubles players and freshmen Will Weber and Cosmo Anthony-Mostad recovered from their earlier Woodinville loss with a strong performance, attaining a solid win at 6-0, 6-1. Exhibition fifth doubles, played by sophomore Sam Best and freshman Karthik Khanna, and sixth doubles, played by sophomore Liam Shalom and freshman Abhinav Akkiraja, also won easily at 8-2, and 8-0, respectively. 

The match against Bothell marks the fifth consecutive win for the team and signals the almost near certainty of an undefeated season for Inglemoor. They’ll return to play Bothell on their home court March 25, before the district championships next week. With victories against all other schools under their belt, the team has solidified an exceptional 2021 season.