Creative coffee concoctions

As the leaves turn gold and the clouds roll in, the fall season is upon us once again. But we can’t forget about one of the best parts of fall… seasonal drinks! Where are the best places to satisfy your caffeine cravings? Here are Nordic’s favorite places to visit for a pick-me-up latte, along with some fun ways to spice up some of your favorite drinks.
Tam Tran
Here are Nordic’s favorite places to visit for a pick-me-up latte, along with some fun ways to spice up some of your favorite drinks. Art by Tam Tran.
  1.  Looking for something simple, local and made fast? Head to Gourmet Latte! From cinnamon and brown sugar eggnog to pumpkin spiced chai, they’ve got the perfect fall menu for you. Located in the Safeway parking lot near Inglemoor, as well as various other plazas within our district, Gourmet Latte will aid your caffeine needs in a snap. 
  2. Do you like your coffee aesthetically pleasing? Drive on down to Grounds Coffee in downtown Woodinville! They’re known for their fun candy assortments on top of every latte, cold brew, mocha, etc. Not only is their fall menu filled with a variety of autumn themed drinks, but they might’ve turned your favorite candy into a drink, too! From Reeses to Skittles to Airheads, their drinks will be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
  3. Enjoy every aspect of the fall atmosphere by visiting 203° Fahrenheit in Kirkland. Their location is perfect for watching the Seattle rain as you treat yourself to their abundant amount of wide-ranged pastries and drinks! With access to free wifi and spacious tables, safely visit 203° Fahrenheit for a friendly and delightful experience. 

But if you can’t go out, then can you easily re-make it at home? If you’ve got all the right ingredients to make your own coffee, let’s spice it up and make it fall themed! 

Got a bit of a sweet tooth? Try a Salted Caramel Mocha Latte. It only takes about 10 minutes to make! Let’s gather the needed ingredients: 

• 1 cup of steamed milk 
  • 1 cup of coffee, (preferably prepared by a French Press with 4 tablespoons coffee grounds to 1 cup of hot water)
  • 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons of caramel coffee syrup 
  • Whipped cream 
  • ⅛ teaspoon of sea salt or kosher salt 

Instructions: 

1. Begin by using a kettle to prepare your hot water. Add 4 tablespoons of your favorite coffee grounds to your French Press (or whatever coffee maker you plan on using). Over your coffee grounds, pour 1 cup of hot water and allow the coffee to steep for 4 minutes. 
  2. Next, steam your milk by heating up 1 cup of milk in a pot. Froth the milk with an immersion blender or a wire whisk in order to get it nice and foamy.
  3. Choose your favorite coffee mug and mix together the sugar, prepared coffee, caramel coffee syrup, and cocoa powder until the sugar and cocoa powder are dissolved. Make sure there aren’t any lumps! Pour your foamy milk over the top of the coffee/mocha mixture and mix. Finally top everything off with whipped cream, a copious amount caramel sauce drizzled on top, and a pinch of salt.

If hot coffee isn’t your thing…how about something iced? Consider trying the Ice Maple Latte.  All the ingredients can easily be found in your own kitchen! Start by acquiring:

• 1 cup milk 
  • 1-2 cups of ice 
  • 1 ½ cups of coffee or espresso (preferably at room temperature)
  • 2 tablespoons of maple syrup 

Instructions: 

1. Start by pouring milk into a jar with a lid and shake for a minute, until foamy. Take the lid off your jar and microwave your milk for 15 seconds.
  2. Next, fill two large glasses (or purely for the aesthetic, use a mason jar of your choice) with ice. Make sure that each glass is filled evenly with coffee. 
  3. Now here’s the fun part, drizzle in your maple syrup between the two cups. If you like your lattes a little sweeter, use a little more maple syrup per cup.
  4. When you are ready to pour in your milk, using a spoon, hold back the foam and pour it into each glass. With the leftover milk foam, layer it on top of your coffee. 
  5. Stir to combine and then enjoy!

Looking for something gluten free and vegetarian? Try spicing it up with a Dirty Chai Latte! Not only will this recipe please your coffee cravings, but it’s rich and earthy flavor will make you feel like you’re tasting autumn! Let’s review the ingredients: 

• 2 vanilla/herbal chai tea bags 
  • 2-4 tablespoons of ground coffee or two shots of espresso 
  • 1 cup of milk 
  • 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup (or any sweetener of your choice) 
  • Ground cinnamon or spice chai mix 

Instructions: 

1. If you are using a french press, add the coffee and tea bags into the press. Top it off with water (in a large press, fill about half way) and leave it to brew.
  2. While your coffee and tea are brewing together, froth up your warm milk with a whisk or milk frother. 
  3. Divide the coffee and tea between two mugs of your choice and add in your maple syrup. Once everything is evenly split up, top off each cup with the hot frothy milk. To finish, sprinkle a dash of cinnamon or spiced chai mix on top.