Boys soccer finds perfect balance

2014-2015 Varsity boys soccer team after their win against Mt. Si with a score of 2-0. This game was the KingCo championship and the team has earned a place in the state competition. Congratulations, boys!

Eleven seniors step onto the field for their last regular game of the season. They needed one win to go to playoffs.

The second Newport took hold of the ball at least two or three players apply pressure immediately. When the team recovers the ball, it is a quick counter attack with impeccable possession skills that can only be obtained through a team with natural and perfected chemistry. They rapidly fire off shots. It doesn’t take long until Evan Ponto plays a beautiful ball up the line to Burke Fahling, number 3, who tricks the keeper with a rapid shot to the corner and the crowd roars with applause. One step closer to winning KingCo.

“We found a balance between competing and working together on the team,” senior defender Ridley Eastland-Fruit said. “We hold each other accountable for being successful and working hard, and still we have the level of camaraderie that develops a good team dynamic,”

Fahling is playing his first year as a forward on the varsity team and is one of the top scorers, along with junior Jordan Travis, who is homeschooled. They demonstrate part of the skill the team has but also have an appreciation for the extraordinary talents of the others.

“We have a lot of skill, a lot of guys who play high level premiere,” Fahling said. “Our strengths have been our hold up play, our diagonal balls and quick play.”

After a rough preseason, the athletes recognized where they needed to improve and put the work in to fix it.

“We have been able to maintain modesty and work ethic, devotion and commitment and realize that wherever we are on the table, there is always improvement to be made,” Eastland-Fruit said.

The boys have been developing these skills with hard work and dedication, knowing that these are integral parts of becoming a successful soccer team.  This comes on top of individual skills.

“You can’t be successful without having talented players, so that makes a big difference,” coach Kevin McGibbon said.

Even with both these elements, the team could not have accumulated this many wins without their ability to work together as a unit.  This was especially emblematic in their game against Newport, with 11 seniors to start the game.

“Our chemistry is really strong because we have all played with and against each other at a premiere level,” senior captain and center midfielder Daniel Luna said.

Chemistry has been key for the team, leading them to their accomplishments.

“One of the captains goals was to have a good team and he wasn’t talking about a win or loss record, he was talking about how well everyone gets along,” McGibbon said. “I think we are achieving that goal for him.”

With a diverse group of talented athletes, strong goals, high aspirations and a solid foundation of seniors, the team has conquered a very challenging league with a record of seven wins, one loss and one tie. The team beat Mount Si in the KingCo championships and is off to state.

“A balance of styles has allowed us to tailor our own tactics within every game to what is going to be successful for us,” Eastland-Fruit said. “Over the season, we have been able to capitalize on that and really use that to our advantage.”