Inglemoor Crew reflects on challenges of past years

Since crew’s emergence as a sport here in 2017, the team has dealt with a variety of changes, from new coaches to problems with equipment to required high school-specific teams rather than combining the high schools for a district team as was done in 2018.

“It is tough trying to get used to different styles of coaching every year. Our coach last year, Coach [Warren] North, was intense and everyone was just trying to get on the top boats, so they could have practice time on the water. It was more stressful,” senior Karen Haining said. 

The team has had some equipment problems, mainly because of fallen branches. Fixing fiberglass is a very expensive process and, sometimes, more feasible alternatives are used. 

“There was a boat that broke, that at one point was fixed with a stop sign,” Haining said. “I don’t quite know how that happened. Then, someone stole the motor of that same boat. The district decided to stop spending money trying to fix the boat, and we got a different one.”

Because of the limited equipment, only some people got to go in the water each practice, and Coach North differentiated people based on their likelihood to compete in the varsity boats. Haining said that this year, Coach Doug Van Gelder makes the practice time on the water more equal, providing for a mix of novice and experienced rowers. 

“We were able to get into the water much faster [this season] because we have better working boats,” Haining said. 

Junior Ellis Evans said that equipment and lack of experience are two of the major obstacles that the team would have to overcome, but the way the team is headed right now, they will be in good shape for the spring.

“I am really excited for the upcoming year,” Evans said, “and it is a great team.”