Assorted sports highlights from the year

Tam Tran
Nordic recaps Inglemoor’s sports highlights from the 2021-2022 fall, winter, and spring seasons

Water sports

Girls swim won six out of the seven races they competed in this year by large margins, beating North Creek 149-42, Bothell 142-41, Woodinville 117-66, Redmond 90-86, Eastlake 109-67 and Juanita 121-59. Seniors Megan Chow and Renee Yin received honors during the 2022 KingCo tournament, and Senior Grace Liu earned an honorable mention. The team also placed sixth at the 2022 Washington State Swimming Championship. During the tournament, Chow, Liu, senior Madelyn Brown and junior Laney Brackett placed fifth in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Chow finished tenth in the 200 Individual Medley and seventh in the 100 Backstroke. Liu finished tenth in the 50 freestyle and ninth in the state in the 100 butterfly. Senior swim captain Noah Laird, juniors Don Mo, Arvin Shrestha, Stephen Su, sophomore Joel Chappel and senior Ezra Drivdahl all competed at KingCo. Su made districts, finishing the 100 butterfly in 1:01. Laird beat the KingCo record by 2 seconds in the 500 freestyle, won the state champion 200 Individual Medley and took 3rd place in the state in his 50 freestyle. The crew team’s Men’s Varsity 8, Women’s Varsity 8, Men’s JV/ Novice 8 and Women’s JV/Novice 8 all placed first in the district final. Crew also competed in the Northwest Regional Championships for the first time in four years. The Men’s Varsity Eight finished third in their final race, and the Women’s Varsity Eight finished fourth. The Women’s U17 4+ finished fourth in the time trials, won their semifinals, then won first place in finals, which qualified them for Nationals in Sarasota, Florida from June 9-12. This was the first time Inglemoor has competed in a national rowing competition. The rowers who qualified were freshman coxswain Siena Anderson, bow Ariana Sutter, seat Aliya Sloan, stroke seat Neve Gelatt and sophomore seat Sophia Diblassi.

Racquet sports

On March 24, the varsity girls badminton team made history after winning against Bothell 9-2, which was the first time Inglemoor won against another team in badminton in the 5 years since its inception. Playing singles was junior captain Kathrine Zuo, freshmen Megan Liao, Claire Meng, Akhila Lankalapalli, and senior Alice Taylor. In doubles were freshman Shirin Choi, sophomores Emily Rockwood, Isabelle Baquian and Irin Robinston, juniors Merari Sanchez-Cabrera and Isabelle Garrard, and seniors Nicole Li and Abby Sanchez-Cabrera. Liao, Choi and Li made it to KingCo on April 27, along with Zuo, who placed second at KingCo on April 27 at Sammamish High School. She won one of her final matches against Sanskruti Kulkarni, a nationally-ranked Lake Washington High School athlete. During the 4A state girls tennis tournament, seniors Alyssa Chinn and Karen Lu became state champions in doubles, and through their victory took the entire team to second place in the state. Girls tennis beat Eastlake 4-3, Glacier Peak 7-0, North Creek 7-0, Bothell 7-0, Woodinville 6-1, North Creek 7-0 Bothell 7-0, Woodinville 7-0, Bothell 7-0 and they beat North Creek 6-1 during their championship match.

Track and gymnastics

Freshman Lauren Vesely took tenth at KingCo in the Triple Jump category. Vesley, freshman Madison Wu and junior Jacob Schutt made it to the state championship. Schutt placed 11th in the 3200m run, Wu placed 14th in the high jump, and Vesley
placed tenth in the triple jump. During track’s meet at Mount Si on March 29, freshman
Ella Falck attempted the 100m race for the first time and
became the fourth fastest girl on the team. Freshman Jay Jay
Macclean filled in for an injured player in the javelin and discus throw categories and ended up placing second in discus throwing. Junior Detric Riley beat his previous record in the javelin throw category by a margin of 20 feet. The girls gymnastics team, which consisted of senior Whitney Nakata, juniors Sasha Cass, Stefanie Cass, Miranda Friesen and Sara Lawson, and freshman Jaqueline Jones, Isabelle Ng, Ava Smith and Jillian Starosky were named state academic champions for their cumulative team GPA of 3.876.