Girls soccer falls to North Creek in Wes-King playoffs

Photo courtesy of Diana Suzuki
Inglemoor players form a huddle after their draw with Woodinville on Oct. 24.

Inglemoor 0, North Creek 1 — Tue. October 30
Girls soccer fell to North Creek 1-0 Tuesday night, ending their most successful season in three years. Sarah Kovich’s low shot past the onrushing Inglemoor goalkeeper, and into the bottom corner, was enough to see the Jaguars through to the third and final round of Wes-King playoffs.

The teams met previously on Oct. 10, when North Creek ran out winners with the same scoreline.

Inglemoor began the game uncertain on the ball and absorbed the majority of the pressure in the opening half-hour. The game’s only goal came on 28 minutes when Kovich broke past the Inglemoor back line and slotted home.

Eight minutes later, the North Creek forward escaped the back line again, only to see her shot saved by Inglemoor goalkeeper Teonni Gonzales.

A misty rain began to fall through halftime, dampening the field and causing the ball to skip. Both teams struggled in the conditions to keep possession in the second half.

Inglemoor forward Julia Monson found herself alone in front of the North Creek goal on 65 minutes, but struck the ball too close to the goalkeeper and had her shot saved. Two additional half-chances missed the target, as the clock wound down.

With minutes left in the game, and still trailing by a single goal, the Vikings pushed all ten outfield players into the opposing penalty box to challenge for a free kick. When the ball was cleared, a North Creek forward turned into space and ran unopposed towards the Inglemoor goal.

With no covering defenders, Gonzales took a step forward and dove for the ball 30 yards from goal. The North Creek forward reached the ball first and nicked it away, only to be caught by the goalkeeper’s outstretched leg. The referee blew his whistle to indicate a foul.

Had the North Creek forward avoided the challenge, she would have been tasked with playing the ball into an empty net. As a result, the official had little choice but to dismiss Gonzales for a clear “denial of a goalscoring opportunity”. It was Inglemoor’s first red card of the season.

A crowd of players surrounded the referee in protest and were directed away. With little time remaining, Inglemoor continued to push forward but were unable to find a last-gasp equalizer.

The Vikings finish their season only two wins away from state competition. With underclassmen representing the majority of the varsity squad, the team can expect to mount a strong showing in the coming seasons.