• March 19Good luck to Robotics Club at their competition on March 22-23 at Sammamish High School!
  • March 19Youth Poetry SLAM is on March 22 at the Hangar from 6-8 p.m.
  • March 19Register for Northshore cricket by March 22 to participate in a district-wide cricket tournament!

Girls soccer works hard to play hard

Camellia Clark

As the girl’s soccer season comes to a close, it has become evident that they attribute their successes to one simple thing: hard work. It is harder than it looks to kick a ball around a field every day, but these girls take the term “committed” to a whole new level.

“We work hard to play hard,” senior co-captain Sierra Utton said.

The girls focused on remaining strong, both physically and mentally. Practices include everything from typical drills, to fun games like catchphrase, to fitness and running laps.

“It’s running, doing so many sprints you are like ‘I can’t do this’,” senior co-captain Emma Spencer said. “Then doing ten more after that.”

But it’s not all about working out, the girls make sure to leave room for fun and team bonding as well. From pasta feeds, to T-shirt making, to pool parties and sleepovers, the girls make sure that the team is well synced and ready to go before games.

“When we come together and bond, we always play  ten times better the next game,” Utton said.

Organizing bonding activities is just one of many ways the team preps for games. The unity and teamwork valued by the team is evident from the moment they step on the field, to the moment they step off. Not surprisingly, they make sure to do both of those things together as a team.

“When you step onto the field it’s supposed to be you clearing your mind of everything off the field,” said Utton. “You are just focusing on the game of soccer.”

They use team bonding to clear their minds and help them focus on the game rather than anything else that may be going on in their lives. While it can be hard to balance sports and everything off the field, for some players, time spent at soccer is a welcome break from the chaos that is high school.

“For me, I actually am able to focus on my school work better after I’ve gotten a work out in and gotten my energy out here at soccer,” senior co-captain Haley Baquian said.

For many others on the team, additional challenges were faced this season.  From the loss of last year’s senior starters and pre-season injuries to the impact the opposing fans have on the team’s morale, these challenges have really put their mental toughness to the test.

“Every class that goes leaves their own little piece behind,” coach Amanda Potts said. “That was a great senior class, and they had a lot of great leadership, but this group of seniors was instrumental in our success last year, so it hasn’t made that huge of a difference.”

With their successes this season, the girls are well on their way to accomplishing their goal: making it past the district quarterfinals. Their record, 4-3-2, reflects the hard work they have put towards accomplishing their goal this season.

“I think we have a lot of potential,” Baquian said. “If we can get in the rhythm of things, then I think we can do it.”