• February 5Purchase IHS Improv tickets! Second performance is Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Little Theatre!
  • February 5Congratulations Nathan Choy and Franklyn Xue for qualifying for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination!
  • November 16Congratulations to “Murder on the Nile” for ranking first place in every category in the Seattle Repertory Theatre’s adjudication program!
  • November 16Congratulations to all our National Merit semi-finalists!

Holiday cheer from Nordic to you

Mimi Avalos
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the holidays have looked different this year. Here are some of Nordic’s favorite holiday traditions that can help families stay connected. Art by Mimi Avalos.

This holiday season, much like the others is a time to connect with family and friends. Bringing joy and happiness to everyone in and around your family is more important than ever, here are Nordic’s favorite new and old traditions.

New Traditions and Fun Quarantine Holiday Games 

Although this holiday season may not be spent with family members in person, there are many different ways to connect and celebrate virtually. JackBox is an online gaming company that produces multiplayer games easily played in different households. It’s also the perfect quarantine gift for only $24.99! Only one person has to buy the party pack to allow 8 players. The game allows up to eight people to play and compete in different mini-games these board game alternatives are fun and easy for the whole family, even over Zoom! A fun and free alternative to Jackbox games are Kahoots. It is a free DIY trivia game generator. Anyone can create a game about any topic, along with thousands of premade quizzes; family trivia is always fun through Kahoot. 

Holiday Music 

Tis’ the season for holiday cheer! The best way to get into the holiday spirit is through holiday jams. Alongside everyone’s favorite holiday classics, Nordic has created a playlist with new holiday bops.  From Justin Bieber to Elvis Presley, we’ve got everything you need to curl up with some hot cocoa and set it into the holiday season. 

Traditional Foods from Around the World

Across all cultures and holidays celebrated during the season, most of us can agree that food is one of the best parts of the celebration. People all over the world look forward to making and eating scrumptious treats to mark the occasion. Enjoying a warm and cozy meal is good for the soul. As a common side dish used in holiday meals, potatoes are near and dear to the hearts of many people with dishes like:

Savory dishes are a hit during the holidays all around the globe. Some tasty examples include: 

Along with holiday dinners comes another yummy highlight: desserts. Cookies, cakes, pies and everything in between are the perfect holiday desserts. Celebrations worldwide include desserts in their holiday feasts, which always bring a little extra sweetness to the season. Who can resist the temptation of a festive sweet treat? Get cozy with some Christmas cookies or nibble on some potato pie to satisfy your holiday cravings. Nothing brings people together like a meal, and nothing brings a meal together like dessert. Here are a few examples of holiday sweets that will surely excite your taste buds: