What the Vikings wore to prom!

What the Vikings wore to prom!

Prom was a ball with you, class of 2022!

From goth gowns to sharp suits, this year’s prom was a fresh look at fashion and formal wear. The Museum of Pop Culture was filled with music mixed by DJ Steve Rivera, dancing, colorful lights, and attendees’ glamorous outfits. MoPOP has hosted Inglemoor’s prom since 2007, with the exception of 2020 when it was canceled due to the pandemic.

Senior Gabi Kotwicki spent four months designing and sewing her olive green and gold prom gown. Kotwicki drew inspiration for her dress from the Victorian-style horror movie Crimson Peak.

“It’s four separate pieces. I made a petticoat and then there’s a circle skirt layer and around three layers of tulle over that,” said Kotwicki. “The top is all ruched and the corset was the biggest thing; it took a month to make.”

Kotwicki used steel boning for the structure of her corset, which is a strong material. Kotwicki said she color-coordinated her dress with green and gold nails, necklaces, earrings, and a corsage to create a cohesive look. 

Senior Guinevere Littlejohn also made and designed her dress on her own, creating a full pale pink gown with flower petals on the bottom and a tiara to tie her Disney Princess look together. Littlejohn began working on her dress during the summer, and she finished the dress in February by hand sewing pink petals to the bottom. Her date, junior Sam Best, matched Littlejohn’s royal-themed outfit with a coat reminiscent of old European formal wear, paired with a pale pink bowtie and sash. 

“I didn’t see his outfit until today. He kept it a secret,” Littlejohn said. “I was surprised- he looks like Prince Charming.”

Former Inglemoor student senior Nefi Atherley also used a color scheme for their prom look. Atherley wore a vibrant sheer orange dress made of cellophane with orange accessories and drag makeup to match.  Although Atherley no longer attends Inglemoor, they went to prom with their friends who are Inglemoor students. 

While some seniors created their outfits by hand, others found theirs by online shopping from independent retailers. Senior Eglantine Plisson found her cream-colored prom dress with gold detailing online, but she used her own wardrobe to accessorize it and create a more personalized look.  

“I got it off an Instagram account that sells dresses for super cheap in this style,” said Plisson. “And then I kind of went all out with the pearls.”

Plisson added strings of pearls along the bodice of the dress with more pearls draped on the front and straps of her dress. She coordinated the theme of pearls throughout the rest of her look with pearl earrings and a golden leaf crown.

Senior Kailey Anderson went for a more gothic take on prom, with a black lace dress that they bought from a dressmaker on Etsy paired with fishnet tights. Anderson applied detailed graphic eyeliner for her prom makeup with blue eyeshadow to match her blue hair.

“My biggest hobby is makeup; I do a lot of it I guess,” Anderson said. “Goth would be the best word for it: goth makeup, lots of eyeliner. That’s my talent.”

Many seniors also found their prom outfits from traditional retailers. Senior Alondra Gallegos got her blush pink halter dress with lace-flower detailing from Macy’s. Her friend, senior Abby Campbell, got her navy blue satin dress with gold glitter detailing on the bodice from Amazon.

A highlight for senior Eddie Ballinger was seeing everyone in their outfits, dancing, and spending time at the MoPOP. 

“I didn’t go into [prom] with an expectation, you know? I think that’s kind of what made it more fun,” said senior Jaylen Minor. “I thought it was cool; it was an experience and something that I will treasure for sure.”