October media meltdown

From playlists and webtoons to podcasts and bops, Vikings are notorious for drowning out teachers, peers, and obligations with their headphones in. These are a few of our best procrastination recommendations.

Featured Playlist

Throwing it back to the 60s, 70s, 80s and a pop of the 90s, Spotify user Alix Smith’s “oldies” playlist is a definite go-to when you need a pick-me-up. With songs like “Build Me Up Buttercup” by The Foundations and “Sugar, Sugar” by the Archies, Smith compiled a group of songs together to lift all spirits. The happy-go-lucky theme of the playlist makes it easy to listen to with any crowd. The playlist starts with classic love songs from the 60s and transitions through the generations swiftly and chronologically. This playlist is perfect for making any day a little bit better, or any occasion for that matter. You can find this playlist on Spotify by searching, Alix Smith, under profiles.

Featured Webtoon

Paperback comic books are becoming a thing of the past. Lore Olympus is a popular comic found on the growing comic website webtoon.com that thousands are reading today. The comic tells a modern rendition of the classic Greek love story between Hades and Persephone. Persephone is sent to stay with Artemis, the goddess of the hunt, and Persephone meets Hades at a party. From there, the duo faces many obstacles such as a vengeful ex and disapproval from all aspects of the relationship. The author, Rachel Smythe, spreads awareness about real life issues such as sexual assault, abusive relationships, and the grey lines between age and love through her writing and art.

Podcasts

Cody Ko and Noel Miller host the Tiny Meat Gang Podcast, a talk show between two friends covering hot
internet topics. It was awarded a Shorty Award for Best Podcast 2019. The two friends go on tangents about anything and everything, and are the perfect representation of “bros.” Their podcast’s the perfect distraction from the real world; they are like the friends you wish you had. The podcast also dives into random unrelated topics that never connect such as hacking various everyday objects, a “youtube fight league,” race wars, “chin weaves,” and many more entertaining topics. A strongly suggested podcast for when you just want to sit and unwind.

In the month of October, many people search for anything eerie and creepy. “Cults,” a mystery thriller podcast hosted by Greg Polcyn and Vanessa Richardson, covers different famous and underground cults throughout time. Some featured stories are “Church of the First Born of the Lamb of God,” “Symboinese Liberation Army” and “The Blackburn Cult.” The podcast thoroughly covers the rough and raw backgrounds of certain cults and their histories using actual interviews, audios, and quotes.