Seattle Christmas Market lights up this holiday season

This holiday season, the Seattle center is hosting their first annual Seattle Christmas Market. Nordic recently sent two reporters to the market, which will run for a month straight, from Nov. 24 to Dec. 24, to review its European-inspired foods and activities.

Upon our arrival to the 5th Ave. North Parking garage, the parking advertised on the market’s website, we were greeted with a $35 parking fee. This left a slightly sour taste in our mouths, but due to the extensive list of treats and activities listed on the website, our hopes were still high. On top of the parking fee, youth tickets were $14 for those under 18, while those for adults were $22. There’s been discontent among Seattle citizens who want to attend the market but aren’t willing to pay the high price. However, we think that if you’re willing to splurge, the market can be a fun experience to commemorate the holiday season.

Entering the Seattle center, an entirely outdoor event center that hosts attractions like the MoPOP and the Space Needle, there was little direction to where the market is actually located. With the level of effort and expenses the city put into the market, more advertisement would be expected. However, after some exploring, we found the Fischer Pavilion and South Fountain Lawn where the market is currently being held.

A joyful girl is seen sitting with her parents on the carousel dragon as she eagerly waits for her merry ride to begin. Jada Ambers (she/her)

While the line for entry was long, it moved fairly quickly. The Christmas carols being performed by Motown group The Jewel Tones from inside in the Christmas Pyramide could be clearly heard, even from the line outside. We were fortunate it was only slightly drizzly, as the market is entirely uncovered, and rain would likely significantly dampen the experience.

Once inside, we were met with enticing smells and festive lighting that covered nearly every surface. Near the entrance was the highly advertised carousel, which seemed to be very popular with the kids. We were greatly anticipating our turn on the ride; however, the almost 60 person line deterred us. The market in general was extremely crowded, probably due to the narrow walkways and smaller size of the venue. While we initially questioned the need for pre-ordered tickets, the sheer volume of people showed they were a necessity.

The food and merchandise stalls were small, most of which sold products originating from European culture. We decided to try four treats: a gingerbread latte from Barista Brothers Coffee Co., chocolate strawberry crepes from J&Y Crepes, mac and cheese dumplings from Dumpling Tzar and freeze dried skittles from Change Your Narrative. The treats we bought were good, but like everything else at the market, extremely expensive, with the crepes at $12 a piece.

Delicate glass ornaments sit in bowls, ready for buying, intricately made by the vendor. Jada Ambers (she/her)

The market is also home to many vendors, all eager to show off their unique crafts. We were again met with the issue of pricing; however, given that the large majority of products sold were quality and handmade, nothing seemed too unreasonable. Particular standouts were the Home of Polish Pottery, which features intricately detailed plates, mugs and Choco Idea, which sells chocolate shaped like household items.

But by far our favorite attraction at the market was Lovers’ Lane, a small tunnel composed entirely of strings of Christmas lights and adorned with hanging mistletoe. With or without a significant other by your side, the lights on lovers lane are a unique and picturesque experience, to be enjoyed with anyone, by anyone.

While the vendors appeal more to an older crowd, kids can look forward to meeting and writing letters to Santa, as well as getting to tour the inside of a giant Christmas tree. Exploring the market only took us about 2 1/2 hours, so it can be a good excursion for families who don’t want to tire their kids out too much. Our recommendation is to go at night, as having got there before sunset, we got to experience the market in both the light and dark. The bright lights against the dark winter sky definitely gives an added feeling of merriness.

Most importantly, what stood out to us was the sheer diversity of the people attending the market. All different age groups were present, showing that the market appeals to all Seattle citizens willing to embrace some holiday cheer and shell out some of that Christmas gift money to cover the hefty expenses. If you’re in Seattle for the holidays, we’d recommend giving the Seattle Christmas Market a visit; it’s the perfect way to ring in the holidays with loved ones.