OSPI: The un-Healthy Youth Survey

Arushi Sharma and Claire Meng
This data shows the percentage of students who felt sad or hopeless based on gender. The Healthy Youth Survey only included statistics for two genders: male and female. This is the statewide data for 2021.

Every other year, the Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) administers the Healthy Youth Survey to students in grades 6, 8, 10 and 12. Because of COVID-19, the 2020 survey was sent out in 2021 instead. The survey covers drug use, physical health, sexual behavior, violence and mental health. Participation is optional and answers are completely anonymous. In 2021, 342 of 392 Inglemoor sophomores took the survey and 291 of 400 seniors participated.

This data is reviewed by administrators at the district and school level, such as Principal Adam Desautels, the School Nurse Carol Ward, the counselors and the security department. Results that stand out are usually used to petition for changes in  budget from the district or to redirect efforts towards solving problems based on the results. The purpose of the Healthy Youth Survey is to give the administration a more accurate view of student life and allow resources to be used to their fullest extent. 

The data shows the percentage of students with a low commitment to school. Low commitment is calculated through answers to these three prompts: “school work is not meaningful,” “learning is not important for the future,” and “cut school in past month.” This is the data for Inglemoor specifically. (Claire Meng and Arushi Sharma )
This data shows the sexual behavior and amount of sexual health education Inglemoor sophomores and seniors reportedly received in percentages. Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year, students in grades 6-12 are required to receive comprehensive sex education. Northshore School District has been teaching sexual health in their classrooms since before 2016. (Arushi Sharma and Claire Meng)