• February 5Purchase IHS Improv tickets! Second performance is Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Little Theatre!
  • February 5Congratulations Nathan Choy and Franklyn Xue for qualifying for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination!
  • November 16Congratulations to “Murder on the Nile” for ranking first place in every category in the Seattle Repertory Theatre’s adjudication program!
  • November 16Congratulations to all our National Merit semi-finalists!

U.S. issues gender-neutral passports

Since April 11, American citizens have been able to select their gender as “X” on their passports in addition to their sex on their social security cards. This was announced by the Biden administration on March 31 as a celebration of the Transgender Day of Visibility following the passage of several state-level anti-transgender laws by Republican governors in states such as Oklahoma and Arizona. President Joe Biden has been promising better support for the LGBTQ+ community since the beginning of his campaign and has been attempting to pass a bipartisan Equality Act, which would ban discrimination based on gender identity in areas such as employment, housing, education and other federally-funded programs.

Many federal agencies have created other measures to be more accommodating toward non-binary people. For example, the Transportation Security Administration has removed gender identification from screenings and updated TSA PreCheck to include a gender-neutral “X” marker on its applications.

Biden showed his solidarity with the transgender community in a pre-recorded presentation from the Oval Office.

“We know it’s hard when there are those out there who don’t see you and don’t respect you,” Biden said. “For example, the onslaught of anti-transgender state laws attacking you and your families is simply wrong. This administration is standing up for you against all these hateful bills, and we’re committed to advancing transgender equality in the classroom, on the playing field, at work, in our military, in our housing and health care systems, and everywhere.”