Editors say their final goodbyes

Maria Solorzano
The 2018-2019 Editors-in-Chief reflect on the experiences they’ve had in Nordic.

Oliver Hopcroft

When each issue arrives, I love the smell of ink and the feeling of fresh newsprint as I pick up a paper. Each time, I’m reminded of how proud I am of our staff and how much everybody has grown. This issue will be the nineteenth time I go through this ritual — and the last. While it’s sad to imagine the last day of Nordic, it also makes me realize how great the past year has been.

Leading the staff along with Cami and Shannon has been an honor, through the countless hours in the computer lab, third and fourth late nights and lost pages. Our staff is full of incredible people, and every one of them is an essential part of our Nordic community.

I feel secure in the fact that Sonya, Aditi and Rahima will be taking over. Moreover, I know that all six of you returnees (and some twenty-odd new reporters) will continue our traditions well. You’ve got a lot of work ahead of you, but I know there couldn’t be a more capable, optimistic group. Thank you to Mrs. Little for stepping up to a new challenge, and to everyone on staff this year for your hard work.

Long live the Nord!

Shannon Hong

This year was a year of change. Not only did we have a new adviser and new staff members, but from the beginning, Cami, Oliver and I were ambitious with ideas as to how we could improve Nordic. Although there were challenges along the way, I’m proud of the thoughtful and thorough content we’ve produced both on the web and in the paper.

Nordic has also offered me many opportunities to connect with the Inglemoor community and understand experiences other than my own. It’s been an honor to give those a voice who often have something to say, but don’t believe they do. Helping people know that they have an important part in a story is a passion I will continue to uphold for the rest of my life, and it’s a passion that I hope every person on our staff continues to value as well.

This newspaper gave me so much, and I don’t know if I’ve given it enough back. Regardless, I’m deeply satisfied with how our staff — our family — collaborated to serve and inform our readers. Mrs. Little, thank you for supporting and believing in us. Rahima, Sonya and Aditi, I’m so excited to see how your strong leadership and journalism will shape Volume 49, and I’m confident that you will make it a great one. Long live the Nord!

Cami Brix

A free and vibrant press is the foundation of our democracy. Strong local journalism is what informs and connects our communities. Nordic News is the heartbeat of Inglemoor and has been for nearly a half century.

When elected to the role of co-editor-in-chief, I felt the burden of these responsibilities and was compelled to serve the Inglemoor community to the best of my ability. Thankfully, I was granted the great fortune of working with an incredibly driven leadership team, a consistently supportive new adviser and a widely talented staff. Together, we made papers informative, heartfelt, beautiful papers.

Each issue, we pushed ourselves to collaborate and improve as a team. Each issue, I was continually amazed by the insightfulness, brilliance and courage of the Nordic family. Thank you staff for restoring my faith in humanity, making me laugh ‘til my eyes water and inspiring me to become a better leader and human being. My gratitude for Nordic runs deep, and I will carry it with me forever.

As my third and final year of Nordic comes to a close, I feel confident passing on this legacy to Aditi, Sonya and Rahima. Let’s continue striving to be informed and engaged citizens. Long live the Nord!