• March 19Congratulations to the Drama Team for placing 6th for their Murder on the Nile and 27th for their Little Women performances at the State Drama competition!
  • March 19Congratualations to everyone who competed at DECA's State Career Development Conference and good luck to everyone competing at the International Career Development Conference!
  • March 19Congratulations to Shirin Choi, Irin Robinston and Joshua Zou for winning first place in their events at the FBLA Winter Leadership Conference!
  • March 19Good luck to Robotics Club at their competition on March 22-23 at Sammamish High School!
  • March 19Youth Poetry SLAM is on March 22 at the Hangar from 6-8 p.m.
  • March 19Register for Northshore cricket by March 22 to participate in a district-wide cricket tournament!

Softball coasts into 2019 playoffs

Pitcher+Taylor+Waara+fires+a+pitch+across+the+plate+against+the+Woodinville+Falcons.+The+girls+lost+a+low+scoring+game%2C+falling+to+the+Falcons+2-1+on+April+1st.+
Sam Goetze
Pitcher Taylor Waara fires a pitch across the plate against the Woodinville Falcons. The girls lost a low scoring game, falling to the Falcons 2-1 on April 1st.

As the season has progressed, “Always compete” has become the softball team’s motto for the 2019 season. The Vikings have consistently competed at a very high level, as proven by their record so far.

Despite a 7-3 loss to Jackson on March 13 at the start of the season, the Vikings recovered with six straight wins, featuring victories over Skyline, Issaquah and Mt. Si (11-3, 14-1 and 11-0 respectively).

Senior captain Hailey King commented on her expectations of the team.

“Our team goals for this year are just really working well together as a team, to have fun with each other and always compete,” King said.

While the team’s overall goal is to get to state, King’s personal goal has been to lead by example.

“A key aspect to winning is having good leadership on a team, and as a captain, that’s something I strive to do,” King said.

Although the Vikings are comfortable in heading into the postseason, they had to improve in some key areas to get there.

“The thing I’d say that we’re working through is minimizing defensive errors, but we are working on this every day at practice to get better,” King said.

The work has paid off for the Vikings defense, and heading into the playoff stretch they have a fielding percentage of .934, putting them among the leaders in KingCo in that certain area.

“We have some amazing middle infielders, and our outfielders, in my opinion, are some of the best in KingCo,” senior Taylor Waara said.

As the season progressed, the team played several key games in their schedule: Waara was especially excited for two in particular.

“I’m excited to play Woodinville (April 22) because they’re my personal rivals,” Waara said. “But Bothell on (April 26) is always a fun one because we know a lot of the girls on that team, and it’s always a competitive game.”

In Inglemoor’s first match-up with Woodinville, the girls lost a tough, low scoring game 2-1. Other than a solo home run by junior Onalisa Hall, the Vikings could not push any runs across the plate. The loss dropped the Vikings to third in the conference, and with an 8-5 record currently, they remain in third place behind Woodinville and undefeated Redmond.

According to King, the bar is set high for this team in the playoffs.

“I think I speak for the whole team when I say we want to make it to state again,” King said. “We definitely have the talent to make it that far, but we just have to take it one game at a time.”