• March 19Good luck to Robotics Club at their competition on March 22-23 at Sammamish High School!
  • March 19Youth Poetry SLAM is on March 22 at the Hangar from 6-8 p.m.
  • March 19Register for Northshore cricket by March 22 to participate in a district-wide cricket tournament!

Football perseveres through criticism

Ailish Collins
Senior Bryce Larson holds the ball while looking for a pass. As the starting quarterback of the football team, his role has been integral to the team’s unity, which has pushed them through this season.

Vikings love their spirit. But does the huge fan section at football games reflect a student body that truly loves their team?

The football team lost every game this season, with a record of 0-9, but they were able to persevere. However, due to their record, some students began to bash the team. Even though a massive student section shows up to every game, players say they are often insulted by the very students who are “cheering” the team on.

“I don’t know if it’s just because we lose or if it’s because people just aren’t interested in the games anymore because they expect us to lose,” junior Jake Watkins said. “I mean as a player, I just feel disrespected, coming out on the field knowing the fans aren’t there really to watch you.”

The team had some very close games during the season, like their last-second loss to Issaquah or overtime defeat against Mount Si.

“At the time I was pretty upset,” Watkins said, “but I think when you take time after the game, you can definitely make it into something where you can make yourself better.”

Despite the losing record, the team has maintained a positive attitude. The game isn’t only about winning. Coach Daniel Baddeley has emphasized performance over outcome.

“The guys put the work in every day,” Baddeley said. “No matter how bad things got, they did the best that they could do.”

However, the team knows not everyone comes out under the Friday night lights to watch a good game. The players are frustrated they haven’t encouraged more support by winning more games.

“I feel bad,” senior Sam Savage said. “It’s disappointing because we want to make a good game for our fans, coaches and ourselves. And it sucks to let people down.”

But the team feels that people often don’t see or appreciate the hard work the team has put in this year.

“I feel like there are a lot of kids who are really negative about the team, who don’t really understand how much effort we all put into it,” senior Carson Dewitt said.

The games don’t always reflect their efforts and the players wish the student body would see all of the improvements they have made this year. They hope that the crowds at the game are truly supporting the team.

“They still come out to all our games and support us louder than any student section I’ve heard,” junior AJ Peacocke said.

The majority of students who come out to watch football are very supportive, love watching the team and will keep on cheering “I believe that we will win” no matter what the scoreboard says. The football team loves having such a strong fan base.

“I really appreciate the guys and gals that make the effort to get out to the games,” Dewitt said, “always cheering loud no matter what the score is.”