Senior power cheer promotes class unity

The class-wide chant encourages seniors to engage in school events, show spirit and celebrate their accomplishments — there is no intent to spread a negative message.

During a lull in a school-wide assembly, a roar erupts from the bleachers as approximately 460 students cheer in support of their grade.

For generations of Vikings, the senior power chant has symbolized the spirit of the graduating class. Though some dislike the cheer for its superior tone, students and faculty alike should recognize the chant as a meaningful way for seniors to engage in school events and to unite as a class.

Some feel that the chant expresses a negative message towards underclassmen: “senior power” suggests that seniors are superior, implying that juniors and sophomores are inferior. However, it is important to recognize that the cheer lasts a mere two minutes. It is a brief display of solidarity and class spirit, not a reflection of deeper values. Ultimately, the cheer provides an opportunity for seniors to support their class’ accomplishments at assemblies and sports games.

Students look forward to senior year and its many traditions from the time they enter high school. After three years of hard work, seniors deserve to partake in celebrations of their time at Inglemoor, whether through Senior Sunrise or Toga Day. The senior power chant is yet another way for seniors to express class pride and honor their accomplishments. Moreover, the cheer encourages students to reflect on their high school experience and to consider how they can carry this enthusiasm throughout the year.

More importantly, the senior power chant invites students to consider their roles as members of the graduating class. Yes, seniors have worked hard over the past three years, and they deserve to support their grade at school events. Meanwhile, they also have a responsibility to promote Inglemoor’s values, namely Viking spirit and a strong sense of community. By engaging in the senior power chant and other displays of school spirit, students show class pride and spread positive energy. Seniors can, and should, participate in the cheer, as long as they continue to promote inclusion and acceptance of all students at school.