• March 19Good luck to Robotics Club at their competition on March 22-23 at Sammamish High School!
  • March 19Youth Poetry SLAM is on March 22 at the Hangar from 6-8 p.m.
  • March 19Register for Northshore cricket by March 22 to participate in a district-wide cricket tournament!

Possible campus reconstruction

Construction+is+finishing+up+outside+of+the+new+Performance+Center.+The+construction+started+in+September+2020%2C+and+the+contrast+of+the+modern+building+to+the+current+campus+gives+students+some+insight+into+what+Inglemoor+might+look+like+in+the+future.+
Cate Bouvet
Construction is finishing up outside of the new Performance Center. The construction started in September 2020, and the contrast of the modern building to the current campus gives students some insight into what Inglemoor might look like in the future.

In February, ballots will be cast on the Capital Projects bond, which would pay for the first phase of a complete reconstruction of Inglemoor’s campus and the renovation of other schools in the district. There would be $425 million authorized for all school renovations, with $100 million dedicated to the Inglemoor Modernization Project, which is predicted to take 4 to 5 years to complete. 

According to Northshore School District Board Member Bob Swain, the reconstruction would be split into two phases, including a possible two-story addition, 32 new permanent classrooms, an athletic support space, a commons area and an entrance building. The six portables on campus currently would be removed. State controls and laws only allow a school to qualify for major renovations every 20 to 30 years and the state decides which schools need renovations within the district based on age, safety, growth and the needs of the facility. Swain said that as the last high school in the district without a major remodel, it is Inglemoor’s turn. 

“Now the board is trying to figure out what makes the most sense to do first. If we tear out a bunch of existing buildings, there needs to be a place to put students,” Swain said. “I imagine they would probably have some kind of modular building.” 

Citizens living within the Northshore School District would pay property taxes to fund the bond, but the board budgeted finances so that the current tax rate per every $1,000 of the value of a house will stay unchanged while paying for the renovations. For tax rates to remain the same, the reconstruction will be financed similarly to a loan. 

“The district would borrow that money, and they would pay the interest on it, basically taking out a loan,” Swain said. “That debt gets paid off over a maximum 20 year period.”

Constructed in the 1960’s, the current campus is California-style with outdoor hallways. There are countless opportunities to change campus style, layout and safety. Swain predicted the campus style would change to blend in with the new performance center. He said if the bond passes, the board will take student and staff opinions into account when rebuilding the campus. Students express how the campus impacts their learning, and call for change. 

“It’s long overdue. Inglemoor is a great academic school, but the campus is very outdated and run down, and the future students deserve a more functional learning environment,” said one survey respondent. 

On the other hand, some students want to keep the outdoor campus and large evergreen trees that surround the buildings. 

“I’m new this year and the first time I stepped on campus, the first thing I noticed was how it was so beautiful. I love the implementation of nature,” junior Embrelee Wisler said

February’s election will determine the future of education and school life for many generations of students to come. Until then, students will continue to learn in an aging environment.  But Swain predicted that the bond will pass and that change will come in the following years. 

“In Northshore, no one has ever had a bond and levy fail—which is good; it shows that people that live here want to support schools and programs, and so we hope they continue to do that.”