Library gives students access to tablets

Kensie Speed
A Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 Tablet are opened to the apps pages that contain many features. Students can use the tablets to read and use online textbooks to do homework.

The library is now lending iPads, Kindles and Nexus 7 Tablets to students for use as e-readers. In addition to these devices, students will have access to 500 e-books on their own tablet devices.

The library received an Inno Grant from the Northshore School District in June that has provided the library with ten iPads, ten Kindle Fires and ten Nexus 7 Tablets, as well as $8,000 of e-book content.

Librarian Teresa McCausland has been working hard to make these devices available to check out. McCausland believes that having the tablets will be beneficial to both the library and students.

“It really expands the services that we are able to offer to students,” McCausland said. “If you want to read digitally but don’t have your own device, the library is here for you with that service”.

For students who do not have access to a computer, it can be difficult to complete homework because many classes require online textbooks. The devices can help close the “digital divide” for those who don’t have technology of their own. Junior Elle Roberts thinks that the technology will make it easier for some students to get their homework done.

“I think they [the devices] are awesome because some kids don’t have access to a computer and they have to go out of their way to do their homework, so it will be nice for them to have that opportunity,” Roberts said.

Even if students have their own e-reader devices at home, they will still have access to the 500 e-books that the library received from the grant. These books will be available to download on personal tablets.

Although the tablets have the capability to download apps and games, the librarians encourage the devices to be used for the sole purpose of reading and homework.

14 students have already taken advantage of the opportunity. Junior T.J. Marchello was one of the first students to check out one of the devices. Since Marchello has checked out an iPad, he has readily used it for both reading in his free time and school assignments.

“Thanks to the library for this great program. I really appreciate it,” Marchello said. “It’s helping me academically and makes it so I can read more often.” If students are interested in checking out an iPad, Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 Tablet, they can visit the library and pick up permission forms to be signed by their parents.