Place a comma in your life

It’s hard being a student, but don’t forget to take a breather once in a while
Sunny Hong

Commas: they are the pause after a long-winded sentence, room for a short breath and a resting stop for a quick reflection. They are neither a period’s full halt nor a semicolon’s interdependent link. Nothing compares to a comma, which connects yet separates and distinguishes yet combines. With first semester ending in just a couple of days, let us designate January as the comma of our 2014-2015 school year.

It has been a fulfilling yet difficult first semester. From adjusting to our new grade to immersing ourselves in schoolwork, the past five months have gone by with a lot of stress and anxiety. January has (finally) arrived, and with the new year of 2015, it is time we reminded ourselves that it’s okay to take a moment to breathe.

Take a short breath, sit down for a rest and bathe in reflection. Place a “comma” in your life for the next couple of weeks–or even couple of days–to give yourself a break.

The end of first semester is near, and perhaps we aren’t happy with our grades and our accomplishments (or the lack thereof). However, before we can drown in our misery, second semester will soon be underway. Apart from grades, our “to-do” lists are only getting longer with tasks to complete: standardized testing, extracurriculars, college research and more. It is easy to lose ourselves in this big mess of obligations, which is why it is even more important to remind ourselves–it’s okay to kick back once in a while. And, what better time to relax than now, before life’s chaos hits us once again?

What exactly will a “comma” provide for us? A moment of reflection is one luxury. Let’s reflect on our life from 2014 and take this time to de-stress by forgiving someone or ourselves. At times, it is wise to let things go, since negative feelings will only hinder us from continuing on with our lives. Similarly, let’s stop looking back at what we could have done and regretting that we didn’t do it.

Like commas– the connector and indicator of changing clauses–we could change our scene to get the full benefit of a new atmosphere. Open a window, chill at Starbucks or light a candle. It is important to refresh yourself and to stay interested. Changing even the little things goes a long way in relieving your stress.

Perhaps the most valuable aspect of placing a “comma” at this time of the school year is to relax by doing what we enjoy. Whether it is watching TV, spending time with friends or sleeping, we most definitely deserve this “comma” time.

We must not be shy in handing ourselves some “commas.” After all, the English language wouldn’t survive without them, and neither would us. With the respite the commas will provide, let us push through second semester in order to reach the “period” of our school year.