Science Olympiad trains future experts

After a successful invitationals, the team works on making it through the regional competition.

Reaching fourth in the state competition last year, success is a feeling common to members of Science Olympiad. After qualifying for this year’s regional competition, Science Olympiad has many goals for the future success of their team.

Senior co-President Richmon Lin remembers his start in Science Olympiad. A small and under-advertised club, Kenmore Junior High struggled to recruit members to support its team.

“We only had like a handful of people and we just met in a portable and kind of just smashed some kids together and stuff,” Lin said.

Lin is the President of the club at Inglemoor which boasts 54 members. Though it is academically-focused, senior co-president Bill Zhao points out that Science Olympiad appeals to many.

“I feel like in terms of the people, it’s a very diverse range of people. Since Science Olympiad covers so many topics like biology, physics, chemistry, and engineering even, the people that are in Science Olympiad are all from different kinds of areas,” Zhao said.

One thing is for certain. The people in Science Olympiad are connected through their love of science, a subject based on questioning why things happen the way they do.

Co-advisor Nick Prasad believes an overwhelming reason for people joining the club is the ability to test the theories they learn about.

“I think that what they get to do, is they get to use what they learn about in class. Whatever class they take,” Prasad said, “they get to use those skills that they learn and apply it in a different way. They get to be presented with scenarios where they get to utilize those skills.”

Lin believes that exploration is the club’s key to success.

“I think it’s really important to let people explore their own interests and passions within the fields of science,” Lin said. “So if you’re doing physics, I think it’s cool if you do a bio event because you’ll learn something new.”

Zhao, however, attributes the team’s achievements to a different aspect.

“Communication is really important, especially working in the environment of Science Olympiad because I feel like everyone has the skills that they need to do really well,” Zhao said. “When we come together it’s just about putting our brains together and just winning.”

Lin feels similarly that the team works stronger altogether.

“All together we’re Inglemoor Science Olympiad and we try to keep it a community,” Lin said.

What they accomplish is what drives people to do their best work, as believed by Prasad.

“I think that because of the time commitment that they all put in, and the work that they all put in, they walk away from it feeling like they have done their best,” Prasad said. “It’s a very rewarding experiencing for everyone.”

For sophomores new to the club, the goal is exposing them to the community of Science Olympiad and providing them with a space to be themselves, Zhao said.

On the road to regionals, Feb. 25 at the University of Washington, Lin dreams for the club to do well not only individually but also together.

“Our goals for regionals are to perform well as a team,” Lin said, “to have everybody prepare for their events and to go in as a team and to represent Inglemoor well.”