Barbara Hillman bids Vikings farewell

After nearly three decades, Office Manager Barbara Hillman reflects on her time at Inglemoor.
Surrounded+by+years%E2%80%99+worth+of+memorabilia%2C+thank+you+letters+and+cards+from+previous+students%2C+Hillman+recalls+the+many+memories+she+has+shared+with+the+Viking+community.+
Photo by Parker Albin.
Surrounded by years’ worth of memorabilia, thank you letters and cards from previous students, Hillman recalls the many memories she has shared with the Viking community.

For nearly 28 years, Office Manager Barbara Hillman was at the center of the logistics that our school relies upon.

Following the announcement of her retirement at the end of the semester, Hillman looked back on the community of students and staff that she has impacted.

“[Faculty] tend to come to Inglemoor and stay at Inglemoor,” Hillman said. “This is like my family.”

In her 28 years, Hillman witnessed her Inglemoor “family” undergo countless changes.

“We’re a more diverse school community than we were when I started,” Hillman said..

She saw changes in the physical structure of the school as well. During renovations in 1995, Hillman and fellow faculty members spent months in “Portable City,” a grouping of 18 portable classrooms that filled the parking lot during renovations.

“That, actually, was really, really fun,” Hillman said.

Hillman recalls one incident in which an asbestos removal operation had caused her safe of money to be tented off with heavy plastic.

“I put on a hazmat suit, and I crawled under the plastic to the safe and got my money out. That’s one of my good memories,” Hillman said.

Despite changes to the student body and the building, Hillman says that one thing has never changed about the Inglemoor community: inclusivity.

“I think Inglemoor students in general have always been a more accepting group,” Hillman said. “I sometimes think that we don’t know how lucky we are to be here.”

Having had her children raised within the Northshore School District, Hillman said that she’s developed a great fondness for teachers across the district. Over the years, she said that she has found a group of faculty members within her own office, as well.

Staff members aren’t the only people that Hillman has grown to adore—generations of students have passed by her in the hallways, and she’s made countless relationships.

“I’ll miss everyone terribly. I have so many years of great kid memories—some kids that still stay in touch,” Hillman said.

After many years of positive memories, Hillman said that she will have difficulty leaving the school.

“It’s going to be real strange to not get up in the morning and come here,” Hillman said.

Hillman has plans to travel with her husband after she retires. As she prepares to enjoy her newfound freedom, she has one message for the students and staff she is leaving behind.

“Appreciate where you are, because it is a very good place,” Hillman said. “We are fortunate.”