Get up to speed on Formula 1 with Drive to Survive

The much-anticipated sixth season of “Drive to Survive” aired on Netflix on Feb. 23. It covers pivotal moments in the 2023 Formula 1 season in 10 episodes. Watched by millions since it first launched in 2019, DTS is a thrilling sports documentary that has been the key contributor to F1’s rise in popularity. The series even won an Emmy in 2022 for outstanding documentary series. 

DTS is highly dramatic, each of the 10 episodes is intricate and interesting, from childhood backstories and injury to the inner workings of rivalries and family legacies. Season 6 gives F1 fans more behind-the-scenes content, from off-season vacation content to fierce battles in the Constructors’ Championship. There is a clever mix between the business elements — including celebrity investors and pressure to renew contracts — and the personal background and personality of the drivers. 

DTS aims to introduce the sport to new fans while stoking enthusiasm among old viewers. The producers have been very successful at doing so. A 2022 poll of 1,990 self-identified F1 fans taken by Morning Consult showed that 53% credited the TV series as a reason why they became viewers of the races. In addition, the show drove down the average age of F1 TV viewers from 44 to 32, indicating its appeal to millennial and Gen Z viewers. Since its release, viewership in the United States has grown by 40%. Currently, the U.S. hosts the most F1 Grand Prix races with Miami, Austin and Las Vegas as the three locations. 

Aside from conducting interviews with team members and recording the races, the DTS filming crew also stays with the team. They wear the team apparel and eat and sleep alongside with the team. By integrating the film crew and producers into the team itself, the show skillfully captures raw, emotional moments.  

Instead of following a chronological order, DTS magnifies specific aspects of racing — often a team or a particular dramatic event. Each episode jumps from race to race, sometimes revisiting the same race multiple times from different perspectives. While this can be confusing, the episodes do not have to be watched in any specific order. 

Season 6 covers all the necessary events, like the surprising success of Aston Martin at the beginning of the season (episode 1), driver Daniel Riccardo returning to F1 (episode 2) and the battle between Mercedes and Ferrari for second place in the Constructor’s rankings (episode 10). Anyone who enjoys a mix between reality TV and sports should watch the new DTS season. It strikes the perfect balance for both diehard motorsport fans and the casual watcher to enjoy. DTS effectively delivers all the basics of racing, and 10 episodes is all it takes to turn a non-motorsports fan into an F1 fanatic.

New seasons of DTS release a week before the first race of the season. The first F1 race of 2024 occurred on March 2 at the Bahrain International Circuit in Bahrain. Red Bull driver Max Verstappen won by 22 seconds ahead of his teammate Sergio Perez. Given Red Bull’s 2023 season near-perfect performance of winning all but one race, fans are concerned that the significant gap between Red Bull and other teams might result in another season of Red Bull dominance in 2024. While Red Bull’s remarkable engineering achievements are impressive, they also contribute to a somewhat predictable season where the winner is easily foreseen. The 2024 season has a record number of 24 races in 21 countries on five continents, and fans can look forward to another action-packed year, from now through Dec. 8.