School board candidates address district issues at forum

Candidates speak to questions from the community at the Oct.3 School Board Candidate forum.

The Northshore PTSA held a School Board Candidate forum for voters to hear directly from the three candidates running from Districts 2 and 3 on Oct. 3. The election is on Nov. 7. Candidates had two minutes to respond to the same questions. The community submitted questions through the Northshore Council PTSA website. Candidates knew the questions before the forum. 

Candidates Han Tran and Myriam Juritz from District 3 and Elisabeth Sotak from District 2 spoke at the forum. Each candidate shared their approach to budget cuts, support for students with special needs and their plan to address mental health, gun violence and safety issues.

Candidates were first asked what motivated them to run for the school board director position. 

“One of my goals as a director is to advocate for those with special needs in the classroom as well as out of the classroom, and to look at ways to make sure that education is funded equitably for all children so that all children can succeed and grow to become adults,” Sotak said. 

Tran said one of her goals is to ensure each student has access to better opportunities. 

“I am a Washington Human Rights Commissioner, and what that means is I have relationships on the hill, and this is going to be key and clutch when we’re talking about the budget for the school,” Tran said. “We have a $26 million deficit. At this point, it’s even more than that. If Washington fully funded special education and fully funded public education, we would not be in this hole.” 

Juriitz said that what sets her apart from other candidates is her extensive experience in education and her time volunteering in the district. 

“I am here because I believe in all the community, and I’m running because I believe that we can make a difference no matter what party you are,” said Juritz.