Bakeries you knead to check out

T55 Pâtisserie’s take on the classic Hazelnut Lemon Macaron.
Tatev Yeghiazaryan (she/her)
The pain au chocolat is a flower-shaped croissant with a chocolate ganache center and chocolate bits in each “petal.”
T55 Pâtisserie

Atmosphere & Selection:

The second you step into the T55 bakery in downtown Bothell, you’re met with a bustling line of people in a bright, open layout. It is high end and in high demand — the line stretches all the way out the door even in freezing weather. Once inside, you’re hit with wonderful smells of coffee and baked goods, as well as eye-catching shelves stocked with baking equipment and food stuff for purchase. There isn’t space inside to sit and eat, but the surrounding area makes for a nice stroll and also has small shops with available seating. With a menu that changes weekly, there is a wide variety of goods available. T55 adds sophistication to classic desserts through small changes — a layer of caramelized sugar on a round croissant or fermented cookie dough studded with chocolate chunks.

Highly-Recommended:

No matter the complexity or simplicity of their creations, T55 Pâtisserie is able to execute their confections to perfection! We highly recommend their caramelized croissant, the Kouign Amann.

Take the Risk:

We enjoyed their Lemon Hazelnut Macaron, which harmonizes the zingy lemon with a hearty chocolate hazelnut mixture. However, some people may not find this combination of flavors special enough to be worth the 30-40 minute wait.

The pain au chocolat is a flower-shaped croissant with a chocolate ganache center and chocolate bits in each “petal.” (Amy Zhao (she/her))
The bestselling brioche. The bakery had rows and rows of the brioche on its top shelf.
85°C Bakery

Atmosphere & Selection:

Upon entering the 85°C Taiwanese Bakery in Lynnwood, you’re immediately drawn in by the cozy yet bright atmosphere. The inviting lighting and pop music create a bustling and lively environment. 85°C Bakery has an impressive selection of fresh breads, tarts, cookies, buns, cakes, milk teas, smoothies, coffees and other beverages, all affordably priced. There are also many tables to sit at, making 85oC the perfect place to hang out with friends and family.

Highly Recommended:

If you’re looking for something sweet and filling, go for the White Chocolate Strawberry Bun. The powdery bun is fluffy, and the white chocolate pairs perfectly with the soft dough. If you like an eggy taste to your bread, try their best-selling brioche. Take the Risk: Another popular item at 85°C is the Marble Taro Bun. It tastes strongly of raw dough and seems to be for those with peculiar tastes. Another interesting item is the Pork Sung Half Moon. It tastes like any regular sponge cake until you get to the dried pork strands decorating the sides of the pastry, which are salty and carry a seafood-like meaty taste.

The bestselling brioche. The bakery had rows and rows of the brioche on its top shelf. (Tatev Yeghiazaryan (she/her))
Seatown Sweets’ Cookies and Cream (left) and Strawberry Shortcake (right) cake pops.
Seatown Sweets

Atmosphere & Selection:

A compact, brightly lit and cheerful sweets store, Seatown Sweets offers a wide selection of cake pops, cakes and cupcakes. There isn’t space to sit down and eat inside, so if you intend to visit, make sure you have a place to eat after securing your food! Seatown Sweets is currently located in Kirkland, but will be moving soon to Kenmore.

Highly-Recommended:

You’ll be best off trying one of their seasonal specials for a classic and delicious cake pop taste. Our favorites are the University of Washington cake pops, which are chocolate and vanilla flavored. They’re exactly what we think a cake pop should be: a dense, sweet cake covered in chocolate. These purple and white confections are ideal for a quick and sweet bite.

Take the Risk: 

While the UW cake pops are delicious, some of their other flavors — Winter Wonderland, Strawberry Shortcake, Cookies and Cream and Red Velvet — missed the mark. Most, if not all, of the other cake pops we tried were too cakey and wet. The thick texture combined with the plastic-flavored chocolate on the outside fell short of our expectations. While they are an absolute delight to the eyes, we recommend trying these deceptively beautiful cake pops at your own risk.

Seatown Sweets’ Cookies and Cream (left) and Strawberry Shortcake (right) cake pops. (Tatev Yeghiazaryan (she/her))
Hillcrest Bakery’s display of pastries and cookies.
Hillcrest Bakery

Atmosphere & Selection:

A family-owned Dutch bakery close to the Pop Keeney Stadium, Hillcrest Bakery is a small yet accommodating space with friendly staff and a homey ambiance. With an array of pastries and various breads, Hillcrest is the perfect place to have a heartwarming breakfast.

Highly-Recommended:

For glazed donut lovers, the Hillcrest apple fritter is the perfect treat. The apple fritters at Hillcrest are large and maintain a perfect balance between glazed bread and apple bits. Hillcrest also offers delicious sausage rolls made of flaky puff pastries with a beef or pork sausage inside. The sausage rolls can be eaten either cold or warm depending on preference. The beef has a slight curry taste.

Take the Risk:

One of their specialties is the English Toffee Cookie. It tastes like a dry biscuit at first — crunchy and crumbly — but once the toffee bits kick in, the sugary cookie becomes slightly chewy, giving it a satisfying texture and taste.

Hillcrest Bakery’s display of pastries and cookies. (Amy Zhao (she/her))