Hannah Wiggins: thrifted vintage dream

May 17, 2019

From matching pocket squares to corsages, prom fashion can seem pretty set in stone, but senior Hannah Wiggins doesn’t see it that way. Wiggins said she has always been interested in fashion and wanted to express that through her prom look.

“I definitely think that I’ve made prom my own through fashion,” Wiggins said. “I wanted to wear something that represented who I am and was more of a risk because it’s the last time I’ll go to a dance like this.”

For an affordable and more outgoing prom look, she said that the thrift store was her first stop.

“I went to a thrift store to get my prom dress because I wanted to really have fun with it, and the great thing about vintage stores is that they allow you to get something more sustainable and unique for a lot less money,” said Wiggins. “I got my dress for $28 and I can still make a hit at prom.”

When she goes shopping, she said she has some key things she looks for.

“When I go to vintage stores, I always test if I can kick high and raise my arms because I love to dance; always look for something that makes you happy. My dress is a bright pink and very billowy ‘70s floral. It’s and cheery and practical,” she said. “I love it because it’s something I can wear again and repurpose — I am really looking forward to wearing it.”

While she has nothing against more traditional prom dresses, Wiggins said that they just aren’t her style. Even when she went to prom last year with her friend and former student Liam Blakey,  her look was out of the box with a ‘80s seafoam green dress. Wiggins said all the support and positivity she got at prom for it inspired her to do the same this year.

“There is so much positivity at prom, “ Wiggins said. “It’s really refreshing it just makes you feel like a million bucks. Definitely, some people thought it was strange, but not in a bad way. I think it’s great when I surprise people. I really love to stand out sometimes, and I can’t do that every day, but prom gives me — and I bet a lot of other people — the opportunity to dress up and feel really good about ourselves. For me, it’s really fun to play with my boundaries and see what I can do.”

Wiggins encourages everyone to wear whatever they want to and said she thinks prom is a great opportunity to go all out and do something that makes you feel confident. She said some of her greatest memories come from stepping out of her social comfort zone and standing out through fashion.

“I really want to lead by example, to show that you don’t have to stick with your confinements,” Wiggins said. “The people who judge you, you’re not going to know in a few years, so start being yourself and doing what you want, and the people worth having around will support you in it.”