• Menu
    • Economic disparity
    • Facing homophobia
    • Club expense
    • The race gap

A portrait of inequity

April 5, 2018

Let’s face it: some of us walk an easier path through life than others. This isn’t to say that everyone doesn’t have their own personal hardships to face, but the fact is that a person’s race, socio-economic status and gender and sexual identity can add to these hardships. Acknowledging the roadblocks that some students face based on these factors is an important step to take in becoming more aware of the systemic issues that cause these issues, and hopefully the first on a path to a better, more equitable future.

An uneven playing field

Statistically speaking, economic status is one of the most influential factors to a student’s success at school. Income level has been directly linked to success in terms of graduation rate and state testing scores; the higher the amount of money a student’s family earns, on average, the better the student performs in school.

As with much of the Northshore School District and the greater Seattle area, Inglemoor is on the upper end of the spectrum in terms of students’ financial stability. In the area that the Northshore School District encompasses, the average household income is $107,595 per year, which is far greater than the $57,057 Washington State average that was last recorded in 2015.

As would be expected, Northshore School District’s high average income also reflected in the school’s graduation rate. From 2011-2015, Inglemoor consistently graduated 95 percent of its class every year, which is higher than the district average of 93.3 percent as of 2015.

It’s sometimes difficult to look beneath the shiny exterior of these statistics, but they alone don’t tell the story. Of the close to 1,800 students at Inglemoor, 14.2 percent receive free or reduced lunch. This points to serious economic disparity between students. While the student body appears relatively wealthy on the surface, there is a significant number of students living in households that earn approximately $50,000 or less (depending on household size). Because of financial constraints, this means less access to test-preparation classes and tutoring, putting these students at a distinct disadvantage compared to their peers.

Above all else, it’s important to recognize that income inequality exists at our school. Inglemoor may tout impressive testing and graduation statistics, but this is not a level playing field by any means.

Dealing with homophobia as a student

As both a Latina and a lesbian, senior Andrea Reyes is a minority on two fronts. This makes it so there are more daily barriers for her to confront.

“I’ve had to overcome a lot of things in my life, namely discrimination and homophobia. I’ve had people say just really awful things to me, which is never fun.”

LGBTQ+ rights have been featured heavily in the news cycle over the last few years, for example with the legalization of gay marriage in 2015 and the ongoing debate about whether religion can be used as a trump card against serving all people, regardless of sexual orientation. It can be difficult to watch these events play out in the newspaper, Reyes said.

“Especially in our current political climate, it’s like your life is just a political debate. To be reduced to a debate topic feels dehumanizing sometimes.”

By trying to advocate for herself and others, Reyes says that there is also good that comes from being a sexual minority, despite the roadblocks it presents.

“It’s taken a long time to love myself for [being a lesbian] but I think it’ll be worth it in the end,” Reyes said.

A cost too steep

Talk to high school students about their involvement in extracurriculars, and you will generally find them balancing a tight schedule and the costs associated with it. After all, colleges prefer well-rounded individuals. Commitments to clubs, sports, volunteer work and more are a virtual must.

Despite the impact these activities might have on students’ futures, participation in extracurriculars can put a strain on students’ budgets.

“I think there definitely is a barrier. I wanted to try out for cheerleading, but couldn’t join because of the cost. There should be more scholarships set in place,” sophomore Kendell Braschler said.

In fact, a survey by Nordic showed that 33.6 percent of students said that price was a determining factor of whether or not they would join a club or sport.

Braschler said she thought that although the cheerleading fee is for uniforms and transportation, it’s still too expensive, exceeding $650. Freshman Lalla Hansen said she doesn’t quite understand where the money goes for some clubs.

“I haven’t really experienced a barrier, but sometimes I wonder why there is a fee for certain things. For example, Key Club is volunteering, so why do we have to pay for it?” Hansen said.

According to Nordic’s survey, 53.8 percent of students think that the sports and clubs at Inglemoor are too expensive. Many clubs and extracurriculars also involve expensive out-of-state field trips that students can’t afford.

“I used to do MUN and TSA [both of which involve travel] and they say that they provide financial assistance but don’t really have a consistent system. This does make a barrier for the economically vulnerable students,” junior Jason Xu said.

However, DECA adviser Matt Pakinas said that every student deserves the opportunity to participate in whatever activity they choose.

“Financial barriers should never prevent a student from playing the game,” Pakinas said.

Because competitions can cost upwards of $300, the DECA program has developed ways to help students cover the expenses through volunteer work at the DECA store, fundraisers and scholarships. In FBLA, the story is a little different.

“Everyone who does FBLA will do it if they can afford it. So we don’t really know about the kids who joined and quit because of the money. But obviously there are some who don’t end up doing it because of the costs associated with it,” senior Antyush Bollini said.

Nonetheless, there are fundraising efforts done by the whole Inglemoor chapter to ease the expenses of the competition. Bollini said that he tries his hardest to encourage people to join and explain the financial aid that can be received by talking to the club adviser, Teresa McCausland.

“I’ve noticed that most people don’t know about the scholarship options and don’t consider these clubs as a option,” Bollini said.

Similarly, the music program consistently travels for retreats to practice as a whole and in small ensembles. These trips have included international destinations such as China in 2008.

“If finances are a concern, we don’t leave anybody behind. We have a booster program set up by parents that takes care of the students who can’t afford the retreats,” music teacher Jim Rice said. “We make sure no one stays home.”

Out of reach: The race gap

When one out of ten students feel that they have been denied the opportunity to do something at school and one out of five feel that people do not listen to their opinions because of their ethnicity, it is clear that racial opportunity disparity is present in a school. This revelation is even more disquieting when, according to a Nordic poll of 235 students, it applies to Inglemoor.

“A lot of people are probably uncomfortable talking about it,” said junior
Linda Zhu, “but they shouldn’t be.”

Over one third of Inglemoor students are minorities, making this disparity an important issue to address to ensure that all students have an equal chance to succeed educationally.

While a student’s ethnicity can lead to discrimination within opportunities, it also affects their potential exposure to those opportunities. A study by the Brown Center found that Caucasian and Asian students are more likely to be presented with the choice to take advanced classes compared to their African-American or Hispanic peers. These students are also the most likely to obtain a Bachelor’s degree or higher. This connection between exposure and achievement brings racial factors into the matter of opportunity disparity before the opportunity is even attempted.

To overcome the issue of opportunity disparity, the Inglemoor Equity Team was created this year to promote equal opportunity in the school community by providing nondiscriminatory access to classes, limiting barriers and creating opportunities for all students.

“We always ask what we can do as a school to give a voice to students across the spectrum,” counselor Jennifer Orhuozee said.

Orhouzee said that equity should be a focus for the school at all times and that communication with both students and parents can keep them informed of their available opportunities.

“An outreach in communication will let people know what’s out there for them,” Orhuozee said.

Assistant Principal Erica Hill, co-head of the Equity Team, said that there are steps being taken by the school to improve access to opportunities for minorities by giving extra support to those who need it, holding field trips for minority students and partnering with a multicultural parent group called Natural Leaders, which focuses on involving parents in their children’s school communities.

“We are looking at things through the lens of equity,” Hill said. “We are definitely moving in a good direction.”

She also said that students can address the opportunity disparity in their own lives by speaking for themselves and taking advantage of their opportunities.

“By teaching students skills to advocate for themselves, we give them a platform to share their voice,” she said. “There is nothing more important.”