• March 19Good luck to Robotics Club at their competition on March 22-23 at Sammamish High School!
  • March 19Youth Poetry SLAM is on March 22 at the Hangar from 6-8 p.m.
  • March 19Register for Northshore cricket by March 22 to participate in a district-wide cricket tournament!

Global pandemic brings imperative stay-at-home order

Art by Sonya Sheptunov
Sonya Sheptunov
Art by Sonya Sheptunov

Amid the highly contagious COVID-19 virus that has surfaced around the globe, 42 states in the US alone have implemented stay-at-home orders, urging 316 million people to stay at home, self-quarantine and contain the spread of the virus. An order of this kind has never been seen before and has impacted every individual distinctly. While it is now possible for some to enjoy a hiatus from their hectic schedules, others are struggling to attain essentials and stay safe due to underlying health conditions. Despite this, it’s necessary for everyone to uphold this policy for the safety of all. Even though quarantine has forced us to accept an unconventional lifestyle for the time being, it is crucial for our welfare in the long-term.

On the upside, quarantine has given many people an opportunity to contemplate and spend time with family, not to mention the chance to enjoy hobbies and explore new interests. The order has given everyone the gift of time and the chance to take a break from one’s typical hectic schedule. There’s no need to remember the day or keep an eye on the clock anymore. Instead, the focus is on moments spent with family and loved ones, nature’s daily sights and community. Moreover, while everyone is physically separated from one another, this pandemic has actually united people both locally and globally. Technology, specifically apps such as Zoom and Facetime, have enabled us to stay connected and interact remotely as well as contribute to nongovernmental organizations to support those who have been made vulnerable by this unprecedented crisis.

Via technology, we are also able to attain a quality education at home through remote learning. In light of Remote Learning 2.0, Northshore School District students can learn with a more flexible schedule than before. Classes are only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, which gives students ample time to work on assignments and ask questions. Additionally, classes start at 9 a.m., allowing students to stay well-rested and improve their mental health.

On the contrary, for some, this trying time has proven detrimental to both mental health and livelihood. There are those who suffer from underlying health conditions such as asthma, diabetes and heart disease and are therefore more prone to the virus. Also, despite technology’s various benefits, the lack of physical interaction with others has taken a heavy toll on those who are living alone. Others have been laid off or have had wage cuts due to the economic recession and are struggling to obtain food and other essentials.

The quarantine has impacted everyone differently in terms of both occupation and health. It is, therefore, crucial for us to unite as a community and assist those who are struggling. Although many are getting restless to return to normalcy, it’s necessary to stay home during this time for the sake of everyone—not just those who may have underlying health conditions and are at a greater risk of exposure. The virus is mutating and has become even more unpredictable, placing even younger populations at risk. This situation is greater than our individual needs and thus calls for a degree of sacrifice and introspection from all. Therefore, despite its varying impacts in our lives, abiding by quarantine is imperative until scientists are able to make a breakthrough in their research for a potential vaccine and the federal government can make testing more accessible for all.